Wednesday 30 September 2015

Swim Deep album premier Birmingham

The Mockingbird Theatre entrance 
 Last night I was lucky enough to be one of the first people to hear Swim Deep's new album - Mothers, which comes out this Friday (2nd October.) The premier took place at The Mockingbird theatre in The Custard Factory where I managed to sit down and talk to the band for a while at the bar before the show. They were really nice guys and were all for sitting down and having a chat with their fans. 
    When asking the band how they were feeling, Cavan (bassist) said "it's really just a mixture of excitement and nerves but I'm beginning to feel nervous with everyone now asking me if I'm nervous - I feel like I should be?" which is understandable. Shortly after, a crowd of about 30 of us, which was nice as it added a more special and intimate feel, were lead into the theatre where the band joined us to sit down and listen with us.
In the theatre
    I was thoroughly impressed by the album, they really gave each song it's originality and no two songs sounded the same or could be compared to one another. Swim Deep have really gone all out with their new sound, I must admit they were brave to do it but they definitely pulled it off. It's difficult to put much of a label on the sound as I think it just sounds like Swim Deep, which I think is what they were aiming for; the whole album taking you through a journey of feeling like you're tripping out of your mind whilst travelling through space. The singles released from the album were truly only a minuscule taste of what was to come for their juggernaut album. Each track is truly intriguing and unpredictable, erupting and breaking out into all sorts of original sounds where least expected; my favourites so far being Green Conduit - a song in which started off acoustically with a Hawaiian and tropical feel to it but later exploded into something much bigger which was totally unexpected. Another favourite being Forever Spaceman; I feel this was one of their most ambitious tracks along with Fueiho Boogie. As a whole I really did enjoy the full album, with psychedelic, space and techno vibes mixed with 90's house music throughout; creating a genre of its own and the band sounding like the ambassadors for music of the future.
Myself and Cavan
The whole night was enjoyable as it was an unusual experience as not many bands do this type of thing. The hypnotising, trippy looking effects played on screen to go with the music, which did make my eyes hurt a little yet I'd say it accompanied the music rather well. 
I was also pleased to see the boys had stayed true to their Birmingham roots, prioritising the premier in Birmingham first.
Myself and Austin
After being a fan for quite a long time now, it was great to be able to give feedback to the band afterwards too and to be encouraged to do so; with "come and have a chat with us at the bar after, we wanna know what you guys think!" In which I did. The band seemed genuinely pleased with the feedback and were really eager to hear what their fans had to say which was nice as it's truly refreshing to see a band that are fully approachable.
I wish the album all the success it deserves as it truly is something else; get over to Itunes to pre-order now click here or head to their website to order the vinyl click here.

Written by Rosie Mulhern.

No comments:

Post a Comment